Thursday, February 5, 2009

So I am just a little bit altruistic...

Yesterday I donated blood!!! This is the second time I have given blood to the Red Cross and it will not be my last by far. I really enjoy giving blood, knowing that I am saving a life with my donation, and honestly, it is one of the easiest things to donate. All you have to give up is less than an hour of your time and you have done something amazing to help someone else.
This time around I donated with the ALYX machine. The machine pumps out your blood and filters/centrifuges it and pumps the plasma back in, leaving just the red blood cells as your donation. They do this so you can donate a double portion of red blood cells and those are in more demand than whole blood.
I have big veins and no qualms about blood so I figure, why not, give as much as is healthy and keep giving when I am eligible again.
I encourage everyone to give blood if they can, it is a simple and easy way to impact the lives of others!

No comments: